Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Position Reference #: 102240
Company (Client) Overview:
We’re supporting our client, U-Pak Group of Companies, a full-service waste & recycling company with over 200+ vehicles, servicing the Greater Toronto and Canada (Transportation/Manufacturing sector) to recruit an environmental health & safety manager based in Etobicoke, Ontario.
Established in 1971 and it is privately held and Canadian owned and operated. U-Pak’s mission is to provide its clients with an organized and efficient methodology for controlling and managing their waste and the environment around them.
Job Title: Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Employment Type: Managemnt Position with one direct report; this position is Full-Time and permanent
U-pak offers a competitive base salary and comprehensive indirect pay (benefits)
- Full Benefit Package
- Professional Development
- Diverse working environment
- A work life balance
- Family oriented working environment with an awesome culture
- Company sponsored events
As Environmental, Health and Safety Manager, you will be responsible for providing leadership in Environmental Matters and Health and Safety. Develop policies and procedure that are compliant with MOECC, MTO and Ontario Occupational Health Safety Act.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities Specific duties and responsibilities include:
The Duties below include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Provide management with recommendations for continuous improvement of health and safety programs
- Make recommendations for facility enhancements to Waste Water System along with development and execution of risk prevention activities
- Lead and facilitate health & safety training to managers and supervisors.
- Work with all managers & supervisors to ensure employees are also trained in the Ontario Occupation Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations.
- Lead the Joint Health and Safety Committee and act as the management co-chair of the JHSC
- Support the Join Health & Safety Committee in investigation of safety concerns and suggestions.
- Support the Joint Health & Safety Committee in performing incident investigations, providing corrective actions and assisting with implementation.
- Lead WSIB Health & Safety Excellence Program (HSEP)
- Lead the monitoring, recordkeeping and reporting compliance for all the MOECC Certificate of Approvals
- Lead the monitoring, recordkeeping and reporting compliance for MTO-CVOR certificates
- Assist and participate with inspections and safety audits.
- Conduct or arrange for hygiene testing as required.
- Communicate & share with the Joint Health and Safety Committee a copy of any relevant testing results.
- Act as one of certified first aid provider and CPR
- Act as the company contact for Ministry of Labour (MOL), Ministry of Environment (MOE) & other regulatory authorities.
- In conjunction with senior management and JHSC review / revise Health and Safety program / policies annually
- Review site specific safety requirements.
- Support the Joint Health and safety Committee and Management with conducting hazard identification and assessments.
- Support management and JHSC committee in advocating the internal responsibility system (IRS).
- Lead and coach other safety professionals if needed.
To be considered for this role, the environmental health & safety manager must have the following qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education with a focus on Health and Safety or Waste Management and Water Quality (Environmental)
- Minimum two (2) years experience in manufacturing or transportation sectors.
- Knowledge of current health and safety legislation
- Experience in the waste industry is an asset.
- Environmental Professional Designation is an asset
- Familiarity with data query/data management tools is an asset
- Proficient in spreadsheets, databases, MS Office
- Exceptional presentation, reporting, and communication skills
- Must have strong analytical and data-gathering skills
- Must be able to complete tasks with accuracy and a sense of urgency
- Must be able to work independently or with a team
- Office environment.
- Expected to go out into the field for data collection and observation if needed
Direct Reports: Health and Safety Coordinator
Manager: Reports to VP of Finance
How to apply?
QEOSH Staffing & Recruitment Inc. is Canada’s Exclusive Health & Safety Staffing & Recruitment. We are dedicated to employment equity and encourage applications from people of all genders, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities, and indigenous peoples. At QEOSH, we are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).