Health & Safety Officer
Health & Safety Officer
Position Reference #: 42356
Company Overview: We’re supporting our hiring client, Jealous Fruits to recruite for a health & safety officer to join their team. Jealous Fruits is the northernmost large scale cherry producer and distributor in North America.
Job Title: Health & Safety Officer
Employment Type: Permanent/Full-time
Location: This position is based in Kelowna, BC.
They offer an attractive salary and benefits including:
- Extended health and dental care
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Health Spending Account
- And more
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Health & Safety Officer will support the Jealous Fruits team in their pursuit to be incident free. They will work with the leaders on training reviews, auditing and documentation. They will work to manage a varied number of OH&S programs and will work with all compliance and regulatory bodies. This role will work closely with the Field operations & Packhouse Managers to ensure compliance and will report into the executive team with regular safety updates.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities Specific duties and responsibilities include
- Lead organization-wide Health & Safety efforts
- Initiate and maintain programs, ensuring compliance with objectives, policy, and government regulations pertaining to Occupational Health & Safety (WSBC
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of all provincial and federal Health & Safety regulations pertaining to Jealous Fruits Ltd.
- Support managers and supervisors with completion of incident reports, reviewing near misses and maintain accurate records
- Drive improvements based on Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Lead Joint Health and Safety Committee, develop and maintain internal audit system including corrective actions and tracking system.
- Conduct regularly onsite inspections for hazards, site operations, general site conditions & activities and signage to ensure safety standards are maintained.
- Ensure an adequate industrial hygiene-testing program is in place and any remedial action arising out of testing is taken.
- Develop, revise and update all Health, Safety policies and procedures
- Coordinate training and assessments by external parties including but not limited to: hearing tests, cholinesterase testing, AG Safe awareness courses and fork lift training.
- Review our current first aid program, ensure compliance and review for efficiencies
- Manage Early Safe Return to Work (ESRTW) program to reduce claim costs
- Guide and support accident and incident investigation, initiating proper corrective actions.
- Maintain favourable working relationships i.e., liaise with regulatory agencies including AgSafe, City, WSBC, Fire Department, internal compliance coordinator etc.
- Maintain the health & safety and environmental bulletin boards/communication to front line workers
- Work towards COR certification
- Manage the Contractor Safety Program
To be considered for this role, the “Health & Safety Officer” must have the following qualification:
- Certificate, Diploma, Degree in Health and Safety or related field of study.
- 3 + years of experience with an emphasis on health, and safety implementation in agriculture, manufacturing or similar environment.
- Demonstrated experience in upgrading health and safety programs and process improvement.
- Proactive and oriented to make improvements in systems and procedures.
- Strong organizational skills including, managing and prioritizing multiple projects.
- Strong computer skills – word processing, spreadsheet, software and presentation applications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to lead / interact with employee teams.
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability in decision making and establishing priorities.
- This role will need to travel to all of our orchard locations on an as-needed basis, we also have a processing plant that operates for 10 weeks / year.
- Ability to speak Spanish to communicate with Spanish speaking workforce is an asset.
How to apply?
QEOSH Staffing & Recruitment Inc. is Canada’s Exclusive Health & Safety Staffing & Recruitment. We are dedicated to employment equity and encourage applications from people of all genders, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities, and indigenous peoples. At QEOSH, we are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).