Occupational Hygiene Consultant
Occupational Hygiene Consultant
Position Reference #: 32354
We’re supporting our hiring client, Workplace Safety & Prevention Services to recruite for an Occupational Hygiene Consultant to join their team.
Job Title: Occupational Hygiene Consultant
Employment Type: permanent/full-time
Location: Occupational Hygiene Consultant
This position is based in London or Brantford or Kitchener, Ontario.
They offer an attractive salary and benefits including:
- Full extended health & dental (employer paid premiums)
- Educational/tuition reimbursements (as per policy)
- A defined benefit pension plan
- Business mileage reimbursement
- Professional association/affiliation membership
- Flexible working arrangements
- And more
Reporting to the Consulting Services Manager, the Specialized Consultant (Occupational Hygiene) provides specialty services and solutions to WSPS’s customers in the regions and works closely with the Speciality Services Lead to provide expertise in the discipline or area of expertise.
The Specialized Consultant will work (both in-person and virtually) within their team both to ensure annual goals and objectives associated with the WSPS Master Plan are accomplished which may include providing general health and safety services to assist with capacity shortfalls, when needed. The core accountability of the Specialized Consultant is to deliver high quality solutions and services that require subject matter expertise gained through experience and education. With the goal of improving overall health and enhancing productivity, quality and morale in the workplace they will work with the Specialized Services Leads to enhance the quality and consistency of current services and solutions across the province, and ensure WSPS stays current and relevant to workplaces by channeling industry and evidence-based research into new services and solutions.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities Specific duties and responsibilities include
1. DELIVER SERVICES/SOLUTIONS TO CUSTOMERS (70%)
- Deliver specialized services to customer that facilitate a reduction and mitigation of risk for workplace injury and illness through the: hazard identification, qualitative and quantitative risk assessment, and recommendations for improving tools, equipment, layout materials, environment, work practices, organizational factors and other processes
- Assess customer needs and works diplomatically within political framework of unionized and non -unionized workplaces. Liaise with various stakeholders (e.g., MLITSD, senior management, supervisors, workers, staff) to assist customers in complying with relevant Occupational Health and Safety legislation, standards and best practices.
- Execute solution delivery to customer as per scope and term outlined in the agreement/contract. In collaboration with Account Management, follow up regularly with customers to ensure ongoing service satisfaction.
- Ensure the successful planning, implementation and delivery of high-quality customer solutions through collaboration with Consulting Services Manager, AM/or SAM, and Specialized Services Leads to scope contracts, review customer plans, prepare RFPs, participation in WSPS Document Review process, solution development/review
- Support projects that require specialized knowledge and experience to ensure all elements that support revenue protocols which include: proposal, quoting, risk assessment and contracting
- Collaborate with others to develop and deliver training, workshops and conference presentations to customers in specialty as well as other focus areas
2. RELATIONSHIP-BUILDING, MARKETING AND PROMOTIONS (10%)
- Nurture, develop and maintain relationships with assigned customers while delivering services
- Promote and represent WSPS as a “brand” ambassador at key events/speaking engagements, trade shows and with committees, institutes and associations
- Assist with acquisition of speakers that provide customers access in the specialized fields and coordinate presentations at conferences and workshops
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders to leverage internal resources to provide customer service or solutions
- Act as a contributing member on a Occupational Hygiene Practice Team and promote collaborative, problem solving, lean way of working.
3. INTERNAL TRANSITION, SUPPORT AND ADMINISTRATION (20%)
- Maintain report and documentation as required and in accordance with corporate policies
- In collaboration with Account Management, ensure customer information is maintained through entries in CRM and other business systems as required
- Prepare consulting reports in accordance with internal standards, processes, procedures and expertise development plans.
- Complete Quality Assurance/Document Review of consulting reports in accordance with internal standards, processes and procedures
- Function as Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) supporting the development of programs, solutions, products and services.
- Provide input to current and future Development plans in collaboration with the Specialized Services Leads.
- Provide instruction, demonstration or coaching support as assigned
- Convey any identified, potential project risks and possible mitigation strategies to the Consulting Services Manager or Senior Consultant as appropriate
- Completion of administrative duties (Expense submission, etc.)
- Support other duties as assigned
4. CONTRIBUTES TO A HEALTHY AND SAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT (at all times)
- Adhere to WSPS policies, procedures, process fact sheets, guidelines and business rules established in the WSPS Quality management system to ensure the achievement of quality goals
- Contribute to the promotion of a healthy & safe culture through modelling and following WSPS health, safety and wellness policies and practices, and link efforts to the WSPS Managed Systems approach (Plan, Do, Check, Act, Continuous Improvement Cycle)
- Act as a role model internally and externally by demonstrating knowledge of health and safety and wellness practices, weighing options for sound risk management decision making
To be considered for this role, the “Occupational Hygiene Consultant must have the following qualification:
- University degree in science or engineering with specific education and training in occupational hygiene and environmental health
- CIH, ROH Designation required
- 5-7 years related industry experience applying specialized knowledge, skills and experience in the manufacturing, service, and agricultural sectors
- Knowledge of Health and Safety, including provincial and federal legislation and specialized standards
- Proof of/Verification of audit, assessment and report writing
- Knowledge of Adult learning principles
- Facilitation/Instruction skills in various settings and levels of employees/management
- Ability to work in a team environment/collaboration
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office Applications
- Valid Driver’s License
- Business level auto insurance coverage
- Access to a vehicle that meets minimum MTO safety standards
- Maintains a home office in a safe manner
- Applicants will be required to provide an original criminal background check at their own expense prior to commencing work with WSPS. The criminal record check document must have been issued no more than 30 days prior to first day of employment.
- Post graduate at a Master’s level in the occupational hygiene and environmental health field or Master of Health Science (M.H.Sc), Master of Engineering (M.Eng) or equivalent
- Certified Health and Safety Professional (CRSP) Designation or working toward designation considered an asset
- 7+ years of experience in the specialized field
- WSPS offers flexible work arrangements. Head Office roles can be performed from home or our well-appointed Mississauga office. Candidates are required to reside in the province of Ontario or the National Capital Region, maintain a private and safe workspace and have a high-quality internet connection.
- Reliability Level Security Clearance (must have or be willing to obtain)
How to apply?
QEOSH Staffing & Recruitment Inc. is Canada’s Exclusive Health & Safety Staffing & Recruitment. We are dedicated to employment equity and encourage applications from people of all genders, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities, and indigenous peoples. At QEOSH, we are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).